Some Common Qui Tam Questions

We have compiled some of the most common False Claims Act FAQs.

What constitutes a qui tam offense?

False Claims Act violations are very common. They can occur in any situation where the federal, state or local government is collecting or dispensing money. They include:

  • Presenting the government with a false claim for payment
  • Making a false record or statement to support a false claim
  • Conspiring with others to make a false or fraudulent claim
  • Supplying information relating to a claim that contains information you know to be untrue

Is the False Claims Act federal, state or local?

There are anti-fraud laws at every level of government, so the answer is three. Our firm deals with all three:

What does qui tam mean?

Qui tam is shorthand for qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur, a Latin phrase meaning "he who brings an action for the king as well as for himself." It is the traditional term for the idea that individuals who report fraud against the government have the right to share in the rewards. It is a system that encourages individuals to come forward when the government has been defrauded.

Can I file a FCA claim on my own?

It is not recommended. Federal and state laws relating to false claims have complicated requirements and components. Without experienced counsel at your side, your claim can fail and you may lose all rights to a reward. Whistleblower cases are most successful when you hire capable counsel. The prospect of significant rewards should offset concerns about cost.

How much can a relator receive for filing a false claim complaint?

A whistleblower (relator) who files such a federal complaint may receive 15 percent to 30 percent of the total amounts recovered by the government.

There isn't room to answer every question you will have about filing a qui tam complaint. But the lawyers at Fischer Legal Group are happy to spend the time with you to answer your specific questions about your situation.

We invite you to contact our attorneys at 212-577-9231 , or to email specific questions you may have.